It’s the year of video! And has been for the last five years, apparently. But live video stormed onto the scene in 2015, offering more ample and unique opportunities to use video. In this interview with Chef Mareya from Eat Cleaner, she shares how to use Facebook Live to build an audience.
This posts contains affiliate links! At no extra cost to you, any purchases made by clicking through may result in a commission.
Listen to Episode 68 – How to Use Facebook Live to Build an Audience!
Want to connect with Mareya?
How Mareya Got Started on Facebook Live
Mareya had a following already on Facebook, so she used the live aspect once it became available to leverage who she already had. Facebook is still favoring the live platform, so you can get tremendous reach by using live video within the platform. You are able to reach people in a dynamic way. There is no smoke and mirrors– no editing. The watchers have started to become their own tribe with a name for themselves and interact with each other online.
The Benefits of Facebook Live
- You will have the favor of Facebook
- If you are a regular, you will start getting regulars
- This allows people to really see you as you are without the polish and the fakery of more produced videos
- People become lifers through this kind of platform because of the personal nature
- Facebook might start to pay attention to YOU
- Because it’s a new platform, you can really plant your flag there and GROW because it’s so new
- You will garner a group of more connected fans than you might through another platform
- Higher-watched content helps prime your page and grow your organic reach
Why You Should Stop Being Nervous about Live
What’s the worst that could happen? People know they aren’t getting a polished, professional video. Your people have more faith in what you’re doing when things are so stripped down. Being unedited means you build trust with people. There may be surprises, but there are no secrets!
Tech Setup for Facebook Live
The nice thing is that you don’t need to have a lot of the things that you might need for more edited and polished videos. Here’s what you DO need, based on Mareya’s suggestions and my own.
- Your phone (supposedly it will be rolling out to desktop soon), held vertically
- Ring light
- Microphone (I use this one for video)
Can You Monetize Your Videos?
You can actually use your own products or cross-promote your products in the videos. If you are talking about something paid in the video, you can have a more authentic integration that’s NOT an ad.
Tips for Upping Engagement on Facebook Live
- Take questions
- Say people’s names
- Respond later to comments
- Show up regularly with VALUE
How Can You Launch a Physical (Not Digital) Product
- BE BRAVE
- Do the pre-work
- Know your audience and the market
- What makes your heart leap out of your chest with excitement
- Research who else is doing it and how you might bring your own angle to the space
- Know the business metrics you need to achieve to make it work
- Get a coach to help you put the numbers to it and walk you through the process
- If you want to patent, find someone to help you through the patent & trademark process
- Buy related urls so you have them before you launch
- Use people around you as a sounding board
My big takeaway: TELL YOUR STORY.
People don’t just buy products. They buy people. They come to like you and want to do business with you and support you. They see you telling the truth and it builds trust. Live video is a phenomenal way to tell your story in an authentic way.
So if you’re wondering how to use Facebook live to build your audience, the best way is to USE FACEBOOK LIVE TO GROW YOUR AUDIENCE.
Got it? Okay. Perfect.
Let’s chat in the comments– Are you using this platform? Are you working up the courage to get started?