I talked to Holly Homer and finally have the Three Keys to TOTAL DOMINATION online! Simply pay me $50 in three easy installments plus $9.95 for shipping and handling and you can learn Holly Homer’s Three Keys and the secret formula for Facebook success!
JUST KIDDING. But does that sound at all familiar? I feel like I see this sales pitch from different places every single day. Spoiler alert: THERE IS NO SECRET FORMULA IN THIS PODCAST. Holly, who speaks at conferences all over about Facebook and blogging, does share how often Quirkymomma posts every day. (Your jaw might drop.) But this conversation is more about creativity and inspiration. She talks about how she used analytics to make Facebook work, but also how she likes to throw the rules out the window. If you are feeling pressured by the so-called “rules” of social media, this episode is for YOU.
Listen to Create If Writing – Episode 004
You can find Holly at Kids Activities Blog, Business 2 Blogger, as well as on Facebook at Quirkymomma, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest. If you are a blogger, you MUST check out her newest venture with Paula Rollo & Becky Mansfield (both also coming up on the podcast!), Blogger 2 Business. B2B is all about education and training for bloggers at all levels to kick it up a notch. Or ten. Right now you will get 30 days of tips delivered to your inbox when you sign up!
At a Glance
- I personally subscribe to the school of making mistakes until you figure it out, as Holly does. Is that how you work through things? (I also like learning from other people’s mistakes.)
- Fun Fact: Holly suspects that she has more domain names than shoes.
- Holly said that we are living in an age when you can start with an idea to making a living in your living room. It is a time like no other! Have YOU experienced this? Do you see the possibilities or does that seem like a reach?
- For success with Facebook, Holly & her blogging partner Rachel Miller paid attention to the analytics to see what Facebook liked and didn’t like. They tailored posts in that way.
- At the same time, they chucked out the “rules” and suggestions from other people. For example: the Facebook page QuirkyMomma isn’t branded to the name of the blog, Kids Activities Blog. They also post a crazy amount per day instead of the two times a day that people were suggesting at the start of their growth.
- Blogging was a gift to Holly at a time when her kids were small. It gave the gift of being able to step back and think of how to tell the story even of a bad day with a silver lining.
- If you get caught up in numbers and the pressure, take a step back. Strategize about how you can reach your goals without losing your voice.
- “The end product is so irrelevant in what we do. It’s more about…the process of sitting down with a child and having and experience, having an adventure.” -Holly Homer
Should you be using a Facebook page or a Facebook group? Read my tips here.
My Big Takeaway
I loved what Holly said in that last quote. It’s not about making something beautiful that will show well in a Pinterest photo. It should be about the process, the adventure, the experience. Doesn’t that hold true with our art? Though I will say this: I want to find that perfect marriage where I make something I’m truly proud of as an end product, but where I also enjoy the PROCESS. As a writer, I want my words to come together in a remarkable way. But I want to ENJOY writing. Most of the time, I do!
What I Want to Know from You
-Do you enjoy the process of what you do? Or is it more about accomplishing goals and having that end product? (No judgment here! I’m simply curious.)
-Have you found your own “formula” that works for your goals?